Posted on 17. Aug, 2009 by in News

Time was winding down quickly, and I only have a few more posts about our trip to Rocklands. It was another cloudy day, but dry, and the weather was fairly warm We went to the Kleinfontaine area to check out a couple of very nice problems, The Hatchling V11 and Sky V14. I was anxious to see Sky, as I had heard several people say it was the best problem in the world. The others climbed some nice warm ups while I read my book.


IMG_7351Kevin on a nice moderate
IMG_7354Kjorg warming it up

I intended to take a rest day. This area had one of the shortest approaches we encountered, and it took us 15 minutes or so to get to the warm-ups. Just down the way was The Hatchling. Intriguing to say the least.
Soon my hands began to sweat, and then of course I had to chalk them, and somehow my shoes found their way to my feet. Inspired by Kevin’s flash, I flashed it to the last move but unfortunately couldn’t commit and never found the top. IMG_7382Cody Roth working out some moves.
This is a classic problem on great rock.
We walked around the corner to Sky V14. Sky is an amazing problem. It has an obvious start, flat landing, really good rock. It is one of the best problems in the world, especially for the grade. In my eyes, Dreamtime, in Switzerland, wins out, but nevertheless an awesome boulder.

We moved on and hiked up to a new sector so Nalle and Kevin could try what would become Livin’ Large V15. That day Nalle was struggling on the lower section. I think we were all really impressed by the imposing nature o this project. Livin’ Large stands as a significant contribution. This ease with which Nalle could repeat the crux on Sky (which I didn’t even try because it looks so difficult) stands as a testament to how hard Livin’ Large is. It tooks 12 days to make the FA.

Nalled also added a cool, traversing V12 called Mrs. Balls, named after a local flavour of potato chip. I gave it a quick effort and did all the moves, but Nalle needed pads (which I was happy to sacrifice) and the sun was setting fast. Here is Cody working out the moves in the dark.

We bushwacked for 45 minutes in the dark before we made it back to the dirt road, where we walked another 25 minutes or so. It was a good day.

Leave a Reply